Friday, April 06, 2007

A disappointing day, but lessons learned

Yep I'm in North Carolina for the day for the Duke Invitational at Duke University for track, and unfortunately it didn't go as planned. I was supposed to run 2 races, the 400m and the 1500m, however I took myself out of the race even before I got on the track. I don't really know what I was thinking but I wasn't thinking about the race, I had found out I had not made the seeded section of the 1500m which meant I had the unseeded 400m and 1500m pretty much within 2 hours of each other. What did I do? I let it get to my head and tried to "chill" on the 400m. That was a mistake, since I ran pretty slow and just relaxed. I should've have done that and I paid for it with a 53.3, which is unacceptable.

Then 2 hours later, with that on my mind, some words from coach, me feeling tired from the race and the hills, I ran the 1500m. Once again I wasn't focused, didn't feel confident, and I ran like it. I ran my first 800m of the race fine in 2:09, but then I just crashed and burned. I don't know why I did it, I'm much better than that, however I just let it go to run a 4:21, a joke. I learned a big lesson today, that if I think negative, don't feel confident and feel tired I'll run exactly how I feel. I need to get back to that positive mindset I had in high school.

I'm going to go out this Wednesday at Wagner, and accomplish that, no excuses.

-Steve

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=df30a80aa7bf48a23dd85b6cff5720aa ss_blog_claim=df30a80aa7bf48a23dd85b6cff5720aa